If you have a traditional Jersey family recipe you would like to share, we would be delighted to include it here.
You can also contact: Jersey Island Federation of Women’s Institutes on firstname.lastname@example.org if anyone would like to buy a book of Jersey Traditional recipes you can make from home.
PENNY BUNS (Made by Rosemary Myatt)
- 2 tbls active dry yeast
- 1 tbls white sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup warm milk (110° F/45°C
- 4 cups bread flour
- 2 tbls white sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 egg beaten
- 4 ounces mixed candied fruit, diced
- 2 tbls milk
- 1¼ tbls white sugar
- 1¼ tbls hot water
- Combine warm milk and water, stir in yeast and 1 tbls sugar, stand until creamy, (±10mins).
- Combine flour, 2 tbls sugar, salt and cinnamon in large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in yeast mixture and egg until the dough has pulled together, turn onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. (±10mins). Lightly oil a large bowl and place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with damp cloth and place in a warm area to rise until doubled in size. (±1hour).
- Deflate dough and turn out onto lightly floured surface, knead in the fruit. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces and form into rounds. Place onto lightly greased baking sheets. Cover with damp cloth for ±40 mins until doubled in size. Meanwhile preheat oven to 45°F/220°C.
- Brush rolls with milk and bake for 20 mins. Meanwhile dissolve sugar in hot water. Remove rolls from oven and brush with sugar water glaze. Return to oven for 1 to 2 mins to harden. Move to wire rack and cool.
OEUFS BRETON (Marie-Therese Pezet)
- 6 Jersey eggs
- 1lb Jersey tomatoes
- 1 oz Jersey butter
- 1 tsp flour
- Salt and Pepper
- Fat for frying
- Slice the tomatoes and stew until tender.
- Rub through a sieve.
- Reheat, season with salt and pepper.
- Knead the butter and flour.
- Add it into the tomato juice and cook until it thickens.
- Fry the eggs in bacon dripping, when almost done, flip and cook a second longer.
- Pour the tomato puree into the dish and place the eggs on top. Serve hot.
- 1lb (450g) cooking apples – peeled and cored
- 1lb (450g) wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- Rind of 1 lemon
- 8oz (225g) Jersey butter
- 1lb (450g) demerara sugar
- 3 eggs
- Slice the apples and mix with the flour, grated lemon rind and spices.
- Leave for 2-3 hours so the apple juices begin to seep out.
- Cream together the butter and sugar and fold in the eggs.
- Add the egg mix to the flour and apples and stir well
- Place the mixture in a well greased (or lined) baking tin and put in a moderate oven (170°C / gas 3) for about an hour and a half until the top is well browned
- Serve cut into squares with Jersey Extra Rich Cream